bge(4) problem

From: Peter Ross <Peter.Ross_at_alumni.tu-berlin.de>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 18:30:12 +1100 (EST)
Hi,

I installed a IBM x336, a 1U server.

it came with two bge interfaces built-in:
(from dmesg) <Broadcom BCM5721 Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x4101>

which are working fine.

But I have a problem with two dual port Broadcom cards plugged in into
this box:
<Broadcom BCM5704C Dual Gigabit Ethernet, ASIC rev. 0x2100>

I cannot connect them to the 1000MBit switch (a Dell Powerswitch,
unfortunatelly in unmanaged mode at the moment and 1000 km away:-(

If I try autonegiotiate they sometimes come up with 10MBit/sec, sometimes
they do not detect a carrier at all,

if I force them to 1000baseTX they do not find a carrier,

if I force them to 100baseTX they connect but I have packet loss (varying
between 15-60 %) so they are basically unusable.

I tried it with 6.0-Release,

upgraded to 6.0-p4,

and finally to 7.0-current this afternoon (it includes the last
src/sys/dev/bge/if_bge.c version 1.124)

The result is always the same :-(

I attach the dmesg and pciconf -lv output (my last reboot under -current),

world and mel2syd are the renamed bge4 and bge5 interfaces (the ones
onboard, happily working with the 1GB)

dmz, dmz2, hidden and hidden2 are bge0..3.

I am more then happy to debug and test, but I only have limited time. Then
I have to install Red Hat Linux. My boss is keen to use FreeBSD but we are
under some pressure to get it working soon.

I also attach a tcpdump output, created when I am connected with
100MBit/sec and I do a ping.

It looks like is holding back the ARP requests for a while (~20 sec or so)
and suddenly they are all released.

Afterwards you see that only some ICMP echo requests go out.

Thanks for any help
Peter

P.S. Excuse me if the mail comes twice, I am using a webinterface now - I
do not know where my first mails are stuck, maybe swallowed by a stupid
filter:-(