Re: -current is sluggish

From: Yar Tikhiy <yar_at_comp.chem.msu.su>
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2006 19:50:19 +0300
On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:57:59PM -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> >Dear Hackers,
> >
> >after upgrading to today's current my laptop is very sluggish
[snip]
> and just to close this thread, all i had to do is put
>
> performance_cx_lowest="HIGH"
>
> into my /etc/rc.conf and then
>
> # /etc/rc.d/power_profile 0x01
>
> this fixes things for me.
>
> i find it strange that /etc/defaults/rc.cond has
> performance_cx_lowest="LOW", but someone must have had a good reason for
> this.

I'm about to run CURRENT on a rather modern laptop with all the
fancy power-control stuff, which I've never done before, so this
thread is rather interesting to me.  According to rc.conf(5),
performance_cx_lowest specifies a CPU power state when idle.
Shouldn't it have no effect on the CPU speed when it has some real
work to do?  Looks like there is significant latency in the CPU's
transition from idle state to active state -- at least in your case.

--
Yar