Re: Virtual memory consumption (both user and kernel) in modern CURRENT

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 21:04:11 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Peter Fraser wrote:

> It's truly a ptiy that so serious a thing is an issue so near to a release.
> I agree that users should be given a choice especially since some of us run
> non-threaded apps that spawn a number of processes. From what I have read,
> wouldn't a squid + squidguard combination rely much more heavily on swap
> now. If so, I think I will also stick with the 5 series and 6.0 in my
> environment.

If I read your e-mail right, you're referring to reported issues regarding the
new user space malloc implementation in 7.x.  However, the 7.0 release is
still well over a year away.  The new malloc implementation is not present in
6.x, and I wouldn't expect a merge to the 6.x branch any time soon, if ever.
Unless you were planning to run 7.x in production in the next year, something
I generally wouldn't recommend without very careful consideration, I'm not
sure how this affects your decision regarding FreeBSD versions to run --
neither of the upcoming FreeBSD 5.5 or FreeBSD 6.1 releases would be affected
in any way.  Perhaps there has been a misunderstanding?

Robert N M Watson