Re: RFC: separate 3dfx_linux module

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 11:16:33 -0700
Coleman Kane wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 10:57:38AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>Coleman Kane wrote:

>>>Not to mention so that they can omit said functionality if it is not
>>>desired. I believe that the kmod by default compiles this in though.

>>Ok, I envisioned this as:
>>
>>device	tdfx
>>device	tdfxlinux	# Optional Linux compatibility
>>
>>I don't have a strong opinion on it, and I'll defer to whatever Coleman
>>and Yar think is most appropriate.
>

> My impression was more that the current config format would stay the
> same, but there'd be separate modules (rather than incorporating it all
> into tdfx.ko):
> tdfx.ko
> tdfx_linux.ko
>
> Much like how wlan.ko and wlan_*.ko operate?

Well, we are talking about different things here, I think.  I absolutely
agree with having separate .ko files, regardless of what kernel options
or devices are specified.  What I'm wondering about is when building the
tdfx driver into the kernel, does the tdfx-linux functionality come in
via an 'option' or a 'device'.  If it's an 'option', does that mean that
you can load the tdfx_linux.ko module into a kernel that has the tdfx
device included?

Scott