Re: FreeBSD handles leapsecond correctly

From: Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy_at_optushome.com.au>
Date: Sun, 1 Jan 2006 22:19:45 +1100
On Sun, 2006-Jan-01 10:59:14 +0100, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>http://phk.freebsd.dk/misc/leapsecond.txt
>
>Notice how CLOCK_REALTIME recycles the 1136073599 second.

Thank you (and others) for your efforts in getting FreeBSD to this point.

I did find what appears to be two hosts that both held the leap
indicator as "01", well after the leap second, until I unpeered them.

My configuration is:
firewall - 5.4-STABLE
3 internal hosts - 4.9, 6.0 and 7.0.

All these systems peer each other.  The firewall is additionally a
client to a number of external servers (only 1 of which handled the
leap second correctly).  All my systems correctly handled the leap
second.  (Though I had to manually unconfig several external systems
which failed to handle the leap second and threatened to compromise
my clock by over-loading the false-ticker algorithm).

My firewall reset the leap indicator bit at 0030 UTC and the 5.4 host
reset it at about 0106 UTC.  Neither the 6.0 nor 7.0 systems reset the
leap bit until I unpeered them at 0500 UTC.  I suspect that both
systems saw the leap indicator bit in the NTP packets from each other
and held each other's leap indicator set.  Once I unpeered them, both
reset their leap indicator bits.

Happy New Year to all.
--
Peter Jeremy