Re: FreeBSD handles leapsecond correctly

From: Rich Wales <richw_at_richw.org>
Date: Mon, 02 Jan 2006 17:45:08 -0800
Peter Jeremy wrote:

> Islam has its own calendar (with a particularly painful Leap Year
> calculation that gives very marginally more accuracy than the
> Gregorian).

Are you perhaps thinking about the Iranian (Persian) calendar here?

The Islamic calendar, AFAIK, is a 12-month lunar calendar which makes
=no= attempt whatsoever to stay in sync with the seasons.

> I'm not sure how the Chinese, Hindu, Japanese and Jewish calendars
> handle leap years.

The Jewish calendar uses a 13th lunar month in seven out of every
19 years.  Additionally, some months can have either 29 or 30 days,
depending on complex calculations.

Rich Wales
Palo Alto, CA, USA
richw_at_richw.org