Re: dhclient ignoring link on wi0

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jan 2006 00:51:34 +0100
Benjamin Close <cisbjc_at_cs.unisa.edu.au> wrote:

> David Gilbert wrote:
>
>> I've got a laptop with the PC-CARD wi0 in it.  I've currently got
>> "ifconfig_wi0="DHCP"" in the rc.conf file.  dhclient runs and
>> everything is fine... until the association drops for a little bit.
>> Then it looses the IP address and dhclient never relizes that it's
>> associated again.  Very annoying.
>>
>> I thought the whole point was that dhclient was suppose to notice
>> these events?

It does, but the driver doesn't send the corret events and also exhibits
other misbehavior.

> I have a slightly different but some what related issue. I can't get
> an initial IP.

> I've been trying to trace this down for a while. I believe it's a bug
> in the wi code.

The problem is, that the wi driver isn't ported to the current WLAN
infrastructure. There's no documentation available for the WLAN
infrastructure, so you have to read the source (the ath driver is the
de-facto reference driver for the WLAN stuff), search the net and if nothing
helps, ask sam_at_FreeBSD.org some well thought questions.

If you have the time and energy to have a look at porting the wi driver to
(at least parts of) the current WLAN framework, all wi users would
appreciate some patches...

Bye,
Alexander.

--