Re: lost /dev/agpgart , X11 confused.

From: Ted Faber <faber_at_ISI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 13:26:23 -0800
On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:58:22PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 January 2006 02:20 pm, Ted Faber wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 04, 2006 at 02:08:27PM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
> > > Odd, it seems you don't have any AGP devices.  The 865G isn't a PCI-e
> > > chipset, so you should have them.
> >
> > Yeah, my X server seems upset about it, all right.
> >
> > Am I not loading a module or device in my kernel config?  (attached)
> > The config that's attached has been working for a while, and I didn't
> > see anything in /usr/src/UPDATING that told me to change anything.  Of
> > course, if I've been doing something wrong and getting away with it for
> > a while, that's to be expected.
> >
> > The change between 1.33 and 1.34 to /sys/pci/agp_i810.c seems to delete
> > some code that added a device for the drm, but that's just me reading a
> > comment from
> > http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/pci/agp_i810.c.diff?r1=1.33&r
> >2=1.34&f=h I haven't really gone digging.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
>
> For i915 systems some people have hacked vga_pci.c to always add an "agp"
> child device rather than doing it conditionally, but that I wouldn't expect
> non-PCI-e chipsets to have the same issue.  Do you have AGP enabled in your
> BIOS?

As far as I can tell.  The BIOS setup didn't have a particular AGP
on/off entry, but all the entries seemed reasonable to me and are the
factory defaults.  The box is a Dell Dimension 3000 if that helps.

I'm currently running a -CURRENT kernel from Mon Dec 19 11:21:13 PST and
it properly detects the AGP, the /dev/agppart device appears, and the X
server is fine.  I'm assuming that means AGP is enabled in my BIOS.  If
that's a bad assumption, do you know how I can test it?

In case it helps, I've included a dmesg from the Dec 19 kernel.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: http://www.isi.edu/~faber/pubkeys.asc