Re: FreeBSD Update is the binary update solution [Re: HEADS UP: Release schedule for 2006]

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2006 21:11:58 +1030
On Thu, 5 Jan 2006 20:02, Jo Rhett wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 23, 2005 at 11:26:44AM +1030, Daniel O'Connor wrote:
> > How do you expect these two to be handled in a binary upgrade?
> > I can't see how it's possible..
>
> Look around.  Every major commercial OS does it just fine.  Most of the
> open source OSes do it just fine.  Debian had probably the easiest to use
> system, and they've risen, owned the world and fallen all while FreeBSD has
> been debating this issue.

You appear to be misunderstanding what I said.

I'm not arguing binary upgrades shouldn't be done but I'm suggesting that it
isn't NECESSARY to version and package the base install to do it.

> > I don't think integrating it with the core OS (whatever that means) will
> > magically fix this.
>
> If you knew what it meant, you would understand why it would help.

Ah what a great explanation of what is meant.
There are several people who don't know what is meant here and I haven't seen
a decent explanation forthcoming.

> > Not having run jails I am not very qualified to comment
>
> Exactly.  Sorry, not trying to be rude but if you have never felt the pain
> don't try and say it doesn't exist.

Just because I don't run jails doesn't mean I don't know the pain of upgrading
a system.

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum