Re: fetch extension - use local filename from content-dispositionheader (new diff)

From: Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>
Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 11:36:37 -0500
All right, I hope we all calmed down a little.

To make people a little happier, I changed the meaning of the -O
flag.

Previously giving this non-argument -O flag would use the
Content-Disposition header after a basic safey check.

Now this flag takes an expected filename as an argument.  If the
argument is given, the server-supplied name will only be used if it
matches the expected filename.  If it doesn't the transport is aborted
after reading the header.

This will be useful when ports distfiles are distributed from servers
using this mechanism, which is bound to happen (if it doesn't
already).  This way a port can say "download this URL", where the URL
is some random php script as a filename, such as
http://foo.com/download?fileid=3682, and download and save it only if the
server gave the name of the expected distfile.  So we would catch it
if we make a mistake in the URL or if the server changes the mapping.
Note that this will abort before actually downloading the file.

For the rest of us who need this for attachments in Bugzilla and
forums without knowing the expected filename you can give "." which
means use the server-supplied name as is, after the previously
mentioned safety checks.

The manpage is now very verbose about the implications of this
feature.

Please do not comment on this unless you understand that it is off by
default, what the use is, if your reply is philosophical only or
insulting or if you didn't read the last round of messages.  Thanks.

Martin
--
Martin Cracauer <cracauer_at_cons.org>   http://www.cons.org/cracauer/