Re: mount option <rw> is unknown

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 08:38:40 +0000 (GMT)
On Tue, 3 Jan 2006, Steve Kargl wrote:

> The first URL notes the same problem with "mount option <rw> is unknown".
> The second URL points to the CVS repository for sbin/mount/mount.c.  It
> should have read "rev. 1.77".  In particular,
>
>   Revision 1.77 / (download) - annotate - [select for diffs], Sat Dec 3
>   01:57:58 2005 UTC (4 weeks, 3 days ago) by rodrigc
>   Branch: MAIN
>   Changes since 1.76: +1 -1 lines
>   Diff to previous 1.76 (colored)
>
>   Simplify parsing of mount options by passing
>   "rw" option down to kernel, since vfs_donmount() can now parse it.
>
> "Simplify" is a misspelling of "Break possibility of using older kernels
> with newer sbin/mount command".  This, of course, makes panic recovery more
> difficult.
>
> I don't recall what the outcome of using a newer kernel with an old
> sbin/mount is.

I think that, other than some windows of breakage, that does work with a
sufficiently recent kernel.  The middle bit was a bit more bumpy than I expect
was planned by the committer. :-)  At least, it's my theory it works, because
somehow all my machines got past the bumpy bit (eventually).

Robert N M Watson