Re: [head tinderbox] failure on amd64/amd64

From: Harti Brandt <hartmut.brandt_at_dlr.de>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 08:36:10 +0100 (CET)
On Wed, 11 Jan 2006, Scott Long wrote:

SL>Ruslan Ermilov wrote:

SL>> > Here's the original reason.  I'm not sure if it still holds.  peter_at_ and
SL>> > phk_at_ Cc:ed.
SL>> >
SL>> > : RCS file: /home/ncvs/src/lib/libdisk/Makefile,v
SL>> > : Working file: Makefile
SL>> > : head: 1.44
SL>> > : branch:
SL>> > : locks: strict
SL>> > : access list:
SL>> > : keyword substitution: kv
SL>> > : total revisions: 65;    selected revisions: 1
SL>> > : ----------------------------
SL>> > : revision 1.12
SL>> > : date: 1996/03/17 19:02:07;  author: peter;  state: Exp;  lines: +1 -0
SL>> > : Repository copy src/release/libdisk to src/lib/libdisk as per recent
SL>> > : discussion on -core about disk partitioning tools etc.
SL>> > : : Add NOPIC=yes to Makefile to prevent any possibility of version
SL>> > mismatch
SL>> > : because of the potential grave consequences. (as suggested by phk)
SL>> > : : Note that this is also on RELENG_2_1_0, since the sysinstall stuff is
SL>> > : hopefully going to remain in sync.
SL>> >
SL>>
SL>> As a safe measure, we can build and install a special PIC archive,
SL>> similar to libc_pic.a and libgcc_pic.a, and use it here.  This is
SL>> all in an assumption that it's still unsafe to produce the libdisk.so.
SL>>
SL>>
SL>> Cheers,
SL>
SL>One way or another, please fix it.  Why is bsnmp linking to libdisk anyways?
SL>It's an absolutely horrible library.

Then either remove it, put a 'don't use this horrible library' into the
man page or whatever. How is one supposed to know that it shouldn't be
used if it is there? I suppose that this library is currently the easiest
way to enumerate all the partitions and slices. The hostres MIB needs this
to populate the hrPartitionTable. I would also say, that everybody is free
to 'fix' this.

harti