Re: Portsnap is now in the base system

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 13:36:04 +0100
Jeremy Messenger <mezz7_at_cox.net> wrote:

>>> See csup: http://mu.org/~mux/csup.html. But it's not ready yet.

csup is a rewrite of cvsup in C. So it's not a replacement like portsnap is,
it's just a different implementation of the same procedure.

>> Why would one want to replace cvsup? It works great!
>
> You won't be asking that kind of question if you read there in the
> second  paragraph. ;-)

I use both. For *me* the main reason to use portsnap was, that it is able to
fetch updates if the only way to get something from the outside is http
(e.g. via a caching proxy). This doesn't matter at home (where I use both:
portsnap to update where I don't need to modify the ports collection, and
cvsup+cvs for ports collection where I make changes). None of those reasons
where outlined in the (removed) paragraph. So I think the question is valid.

Bye,
Alexander.

--
http://www.Leidinger.net  Alexander _at_ Leidinger.net: PGP ID = B0063FE7