Re: login, telnetd not updating utmp etc on -CURRENT

From: Brian Candler <B.Candler_at_pobox.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 19:09:08 +0000
On Tue, Jan 24, 2006 at 11:47:15AM +0000, Chris Hedley wrote:
> I've noticed on recent versions of -CURRENT that utmp, wtmp and lastlog
> aren't being updated by login and telnetd; however, sshd still seems to be
> working as expected.  This is happening on both my systems so I'm guessing
> it's not something weird that I'm doing (although I'm open to the
> possibility that it might be!)  I've only noticed this recently as prior
> to a few days back I'd only been using sshd on my FreeBSD systems, but the
> older one's telnetd is of 13-Oct-2005 vintage, if that's of any use.

Your PAM config OK? On my (5.4) system here, I have in /etc/pam.d/login

# session
session		include		system

and in /etc/pam.d/system there is

# session
#session 	optional	pam_ssh.so
session		required	pam_lastlog.so		no_fail

In /etc/pam.d/telnetd there is

# session
#session 	optional	pam_ssh.so
session		required	pam_lastlog.so		no_fail

So it looks like that's how those updates are done.

Regards,

Brian.