Re: if_flags usage etc.

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 12:21:07 -0700 (MST)
In message: <20060127104845.D46957_at_xorpc.icir.org>
            Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org> writes:
: On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:42:38AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
: > Luigi Rizzo wrote:
: >
: > >On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 12:39:27AM -0700, M. Warner Losh wrote:
: ...
: > >>Actually, the ifmedia approach has a cleaner way of dealing.  mii uses
: > >>ifmedia.  ifmedia reports all the possible media types to ifconfig,
: > >>and then reports its status.  mii has a nearly identical way of
: > >>doing this for devices with mii busses, or pseudo mii busses.
: > >>
: > >>ed should likely be fully converted to using ifmedia, but I'm not sure
: > >>I want to risk breaking ISA cards that I don't have access to to make
: > >>it so.  I just don't have the time...
: > >>
: > >>
: > >
: > >to tell the truth, -current is so heavyweight for obsolete
: > >hardware that i wonder what is the point of trying to support
: > >old hardware that nobody has anymore, or on which nobody
: > >would upgrade the OS from 4.x to 7.x
: > >
: > >
: >
: > ehem.. I have several ed pc-cards on -current machines.. That particular
: > design may be
: > old but it's really cheap and still used a LOT in cheap/small stuff.
: > especially since it is usable at 100Mb transparently with some cards.
:
: a bit of context, Julian, please...
: Warner was worried about breaking support for
: 'ISA cards that I don't have access to';
: if you, Julian, have such card for testing, then there is
: not a problem of testing and fixing trivial bugs.

During my usual testing regiment, I test about 20 different flavors of
NE-2000 base PC Cards.  I believe that my PC Card testing is clost to
exhaustive in terms of flavors of card that are supported.  I also
test two or three ISA cards if time and circumstances permit.  The ed
driver supports many other ISA cards than I have access to.  I also
try to test PCI cards, but I have to test that on a SBC at work which
I have limited access to.  I have a bunch of CBUS cards, but my pc98
machine is having issues[*] at the moment, otherwise I'd try to test
them as well...

Of course, I don't run the whole gammet of cards for each change.
Just retrieving the cards from my card storage; plugging them in;
doing minimal testing; and then putting them back in storage for my PC
Card collection takes between 2 and 3 hours (between 5 and 10 minutes
per card once all is said and done).

Warner

[*] It hasn't been re-setup after my machine room rearrangement.