Re: [TEST/REVIEW] CPU accounting patches

From: Mike Tancsa <mike_at_sentex.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 15:54:01 -0500
At 02:57 PM 27/01/2006, Mike Jakubik wrote:

>Well thats fine and all, its not like the patch will prevent powerd
>from working, right?
>
>P.S. I don't know of any colo that charges for power usage.

In Toronto, I dont know of any who will not, not charge extra.  Many
are starting to consider a metering formula and pay what you
draw.  Typically you get X amps for what you initially commit to--
half rack, full rack, cage etc.  You hit that power limit, you have
to pay more for another circuit-- usually a BIG shock.  There is one
big colo provider in Toronto who has plenty of physical space, but
doesnt have a hope in hell of pulling in more power without busting
the bank.  Power is a big issue for colo providers.  Whether they
ultimately bury the cost of power in end user price and hope the user
will come with one econo cool 300W PS and not some dual 1KW ps, the
issue is a real one and a tricky one to deal with.... Call up Q9,
Raco/Switch&Data, GT/Sprint/Rogers, Telus and ask them, "So if I buy
a cage from you, do I have to pay extra if I need another 20A of power ?"

For our own data center, if I can squeeze in more CPU performance in
an existing power framework by spending a few bucks to reduce my
monthly power draw (remember I have to factor in cooling and genset
power as well), even with some one time initial server costs, the ROI
is not very long....  Not to mention the alternatives  --- paying
extensive civil construction costs to pull in more power from the
local utility, upsizing gensets and A/C... Its costly.

         ---Mike