Re: boot block differences between 4.x and 6.x ?

From: Oliver Fromme <olli_at_lurza.secnetix.de>
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2006 16:02:56 +0100 (CET)
Luigi Rizzo <rizzo_at_icir.org> wrote:
 > the revised picobsd script (attached here, it uses
 > sysutils/makefs instead of vnconfig/mdconfig so it can
 > run as a non privileged user) that i was using to
 > create images with the 4.11 boot blocks (boot1 and boot2),
 > does not seem to work anymore with the boot blocks
 > taken from 6.0 (and so, -current as well).
 >
 > When i force it to use the 4.x boot blocks, all is fine,
 > and the picobsd.bin produced (built on 6.0 using 7-current
 > sources) boots fine on qemu.

FWIW, a standard 4-stable system boots fine with the boot
blocks (and loader) from RELENG_6.  I'm running such a
mixed system:  /boot/* and boot blocks from RELENG_6, and
everything else from RELENG_4.

I think the most visible changes in the boot blocks was
UFS2 support and the removal of nextboot(8) support.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Documentation is like sex; when it's good, it's very, very good,
and when it's bad, it's better than nothing."
        -- Dick Brandon