Re: Bringing up bge0 cause panic error

From: Patrick Hurrelmann <outi_at_bytephobia.de>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 12:59:17 +0200
On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:41:08 +0100
"Bhuiyan Mohammad Iklash" <nobel_at_metafour.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have install FreBSD 7 (June snapshot) in my Dell LATITUDE D820
> laptop. I am facing e serious problem. whenever i want to bring up
> the bge0 interface using following command nuke#ifconfig bge0 up
> panic: invalid ife->ifm_data (0xa) in mii_phy_setmedia cpuid = 0
> KDB: enter: panic
> [thread pid 834 tid 100078 ]
> Stopped at    kdb_enter+0X2b: nop
> db>
>
> Then i can't do anything. I had install 6.1, that works fine. Then
> from 6.1 i sync the current sourec and recompile system, but there
> was an error during compillation. Then i have downloaded and
> installed the snapshot and facing this problem.
>
> Please let me know how can i get rid of from this problem. Thanks in
> advanse.. nuke#uname -a
> FreeBSD nuke.bloodforlife.net 7.0-CURRENT-200606 FreeBSD
> 7.0-CURRENT-200606 #0: Sun Jun 4 16:51:08 UTC 2006
> root_at_almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
>
> here is my dmesg

<snip>

Hi Nobel,

I'm the proud owner of a Dell Latitude D620 and I faced the same problem
like you. Using 6.1 I was able to use the bge-nic but on CURRENT it
panics everytime I try to use it (Set it up or assign an IP-address).

The problem is probably, that the PHY of the be-nic isn't recognised
and a generic PHY attaches (See your dmesg: ukphy0).

Please try the attached patch. It make the Broadom-PHY attach to the
card. For me it works great, although it does not solve the firmware
handshake timeouts.
But please note: I'm no c-programmer and the patch may be crap, but at
least it works ;)

Patrick

Patrick Hurrelmann   | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany    | engineers striving to build bigger and better
                     | idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
outi_at_bytephobia.de   | to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de    | the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook

                  /"\
                  \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                   X   against HTML email & vCards