Re: Still getting 'calcru: runtime went backwards'

From: John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 13:43:12 -0400
On Thursday 06 July 2006 22:01, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> I'm getting a ton of them now, and i found a way to reproduce them.
> Basically i run a compile session in one terminal, say make buildkernel,
> and run top in another. As soon as i run top, the messages appear, and
> they seem to be synchronized with the refresh rate of top, 2 messages
> per refresh. This is on a 6.1-STABLE as of today.

That is partly because when you run top it queries the resource usage of the
various processes via fill_kinfo_proc().  When you don't run top, no one is
asking for the resource usage numbers, so the kernel doesn't waste time
calculating them.

> ---
> calcru: negative runtime of -261273 usec for pid 12 (swi4: clock)
> calcru: negative runtime of -261273 usec for pid 12 (swi4: clock)
> calcru: negative runtime of -259691 usec for pid 12 (swi4: clock)

In both cases your errors are for a long-running kernel process that's been up
since boot.  What's the uptime on your box?

--
John Baldwin