Re: nss_ldap and openldap importing

From: M. Warner Losh <imp_at_bsdimp.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Jul 2006 14:39:53 -0600 (MDT)
In message: <20060707015458.GC500_at_odin.ac.hmc.edu>
            Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net> writes:
: On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 10:49:27AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
: > Michael Bushkov wrote:
: > > Hi,
: > > I'm a FreeBSD SoC 2006 student, I work on the nsswitch/ldap/caching
: > > daemon stuff this summer. One of the tasks, that I have to do is to
: > > import nss_ldap into the source tree. I just want to check the situation
: > > with licenses.
: > >
: > > nss_ldap uses OpenLDAP library, which uses OpenLDAP license
: > > (http://www.openldap.org/software/release/license.html). OpenLDAP
: > > license seems to be BSD-compatible - so there seems to be no problems
: > > with importing it into the source tree.
: > >
: > > nss_ldap itself uses LGPL. As we use nss_ldap only as dynamic library,
: > > which is used in the "larger work" (which FreeBSD is), it can be also
: > > included into the source tree. So, we can import nss_ldap, by directly
: > > importing (with some specific changes, though) it and OpenLDAP into the
: > > source tree, can we? Just want to be sure that I understand licensing
: > > situation correctly.
: >
: > My understanding is that we are generally trying to avoid importing any new
: > code that has any sort of GPL license. That would certainly be my (personal)
: > preference in any case.
:
: Unless we have someone crediably committed to rewritting nss_ldap I
: think this is a good place to make an exception.  We can always remove
: it later if an implementation exists, but we could really use better
: integration with ldap.

Especially if this is integrated into the system such that it is easy
to disable..

Warner