Re: Call for stge(4) testers

From: John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j_at_resnet.uoregon.edu>
Date: Sun, 9 Jul 2006 20:07:55 -0700
Pyun YongHyeon wrote this message on Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 11:27 +0900:
> On Sat, Jul 08, 2006 at 09:24:23PM -0700, Matthew Jacob wrote:
>  > Jason THorpe did one for NetBSD.
>  >
>  > I did one for Solaris. Nice chip. Too bad it wasn't more popular.
>
> I'm satisfied with the performance and easy interface for the chip.
> But the lack of Tx interrupt moderation and extra accesses to a
> status register to check which kind of Tx errors were occurred are
> serious fault. Since the the error condition uses the same status
> bit in interrupt status register it's hard to distingush failures
> from sucess without extra register accesses.

bah, tx interrupts are so last century... there isn't any reason to
have them... just schedule a timeout or wakeup a thread when the
number of tx descriptors are low.. and if you ran out, you could
even do the minimal work to free them up right in place...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579