Re: PS/2 keyboard support in mid-boot borked

From: Maksim Yevmenkin <maksim.yevmenkin_at_savvis.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 11:25:00 -0700
David O'Brien wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 10, 2006 at 08:27:17PM -0400, John Baldwin wrote:
>> On Monday 10 July 2006 17:28, David O'Brien wrote:
>>> For months now PS/2 keyboard support has been broken during boot with the
>>> GENERIC kernel.
>>>
>>> If one has an error in /etc/fstab such that / cannot be mounted, the
>>> kernel prompts with
>>>
>>>     Manual root filesystems specification:
>>>         [examples listed]
>>>     mountroot>
>>>
>>> However one cannot respond to the prompt as keyboard input is ignored.
>>> This seems to be a casualty of kbdmux(4) support being committed back in
>>> February.  Is anyone working on fixing this?
>> This is a FAQ currently I think.  There are some patches floating around if
>> you search the archives.
>
> I hope this will be something more than a FAQ with some patches floating
> around for 7.0-RELEASE.

if you use usb keyboard (or ps2 to usb converter with ps2 keyboard),
does it work?

like i said before, i think, the problem is that atkbd(4) does not deal
with "polled" mode properly. kbdmux(4) never sees input from atkbd(4)
because (imo) atkbd(4) interrupt handler is never called. the atkbd(4)
patch i posted awhile ago has a regression, i.e. atkbd(4) produces
duplicate characters in ddb(4), midboot, etc. *without* kbdmux(4).
patched atkbd(4) with kbdmux(4) works fine.

i'm actually a bit puzzled why atkbd(4) works without kbdmux(4) in
ddb(4), midboot,e etc. obviously i need to spend some quality time with
the debugger :) i hope to get to it, eventually :) sorry for the delay.

thanks,
max