Re: Bringing up bge0 cause panic error

From: Patrick Hurrelmann <outi_at_bytephobia.de>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 21:01:54 +0200
On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:49:28 -0400
John Baldwin <jhb_at_freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Sunday 02 July 2006 06:59, Patrick Hurrelmann wrote:
> > On Sat, 1 Jul 2006 20:41:08 +0100
> > "Bhuiyan Mohammad Iklash" <nobel_at_metafour.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I have install FreBSD 7 (June snapshot) in my Dell LATITUDE D820
> > > laptop. I am facing e serious problem. whenever i want to bring up
> > > the bge0 interface using following command nuke#ifconfig bge0 up
> > > panic: invalid ife->ifm_data (0xa) in mii_phy_setmedia cpuid = 0
> > > KDB: enter: panic
> > > [thread pid 834 tid 100078 ]
> > > Stopped at    kdb_enter+0X2b: nop
> > > db>
> > >
> > > Then i can't do anything. I had install 6.1, that works fine. Then
> > > from 6.1 i sync the current sourec and recompile system, but there
> > > was an error during compillation. Then i have downloaded and
> > > installed the snapshot and facing this problem.
> > >
> > > Please let me know how can i get rid of from this problem. Thanks
> > > in advanse.. nuke#uname -a
> > > FreeBSD nuke.bloodforlife.net 7.0-CURRENT-200606 FreeBSD
> > > 7.0-CURRENT-200606 #0: Sun Jun 4 16:51:08 UTC 2006
> > > root_at_almeida.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
> > >
> > > here is my dmesg
> > >
> > <snip>
> >
> > Hi Nobel,
> >
> > I'm the proud owner of a Dell Latitude D620 and I faced the same
> > problem like you. Using 6.1 I was able to use the bge-nic but on
> > CURRENT it panics everytime I try to use it (Set it up or assign an
> > IP-address).
> >
> > The problem is probably, that the PHY of the be-nic isn't recognised
> > and a generic PHY attaches (See your dmesg: ukphy0).
> >
> > Please try the attached patch. It make the Broadom-PHY attach to the
> > card. For me it works great, although it does not solve the firmware
> > handshake timeouts.
> > But please note: I'm no c-programmer and the patch may be crap, but
> > at least it works ;)
>
> Can you try also making this ID upload the 5750 dsp code to see if
> that helps with your timeouts?  Something like this:

<snip>

I tried the attached patch, but it does not change the situation at all.
I still get firmware handshake timeouts when using the nic.

I googled a bit and it seems that OpenBSD and NetBSD suffer from the
same problem, also OpenBSD already includes John's patch :)

Maybe Linux sources unveil some magic that is needed to handle those
nics correctly.

Thanks anyway.

Patrick

Patrick Hurrelmann   | "Programming today is a race between software
Mannheim, Germany    | engineers striving to build bigger and better
                      | idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying
outi_at_bytephobia.de   | to produce bigger and better idiots. So far,
www.bytephobia.de    | the Universe is winning."         - Rich Cook

                   /"\
                   \ /    ASCII Ribbon Campaign
                    X   against HTML email & vCards