Re: nss_ldap and openldap importing

From: Erik Nørgaard <norgaard_at_locolomo.org>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 22:11:45 +0200
Sorry, please accept my apologies and move on :-) I usually just follow
this list, but since Doug brought down this path...

Doug Barton wrote:

> IMO, this argument isn't persuasive. My personal feeling is that before
> something new gets added to the base system it needs to have a pretty large
> userbase, perhaps even a majority of our users. We have a very good ports
> system that exists to provide easy access to "optional" software that isn't
> needed by a majority of our users. I haven't seen any reasons why ldap
> support doesn't fall into that category.

I don't know, but separating things out could both fragment the project
and make things progress faster.

So, my thought was: How about a "base-ports"? A "base-port" should be a
software package entirely maintained by the FreeBSD team but kept
outside the base system, and must be under a BSD compatible licence?

My list would be, basically what can be disabled in make.conf, and some
new ones: GAMES, LPR, NIS, SENDMAIL, BIND, DCHP (server), LDAP

Please don't flame me - I know that such a list would be eternally
disputed...

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org