Re: What causes bus_alloc_resource() to fail?

From: Eric Anderson <anderson_at_centtech.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 06:27:35 -0500
On 07/12/06 02:13, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> (from Wed, 12 Jul 2006
> 00:07:11 -0400 (EDT)):
>
>> I'm trying to add support for an ICH7-based audio device, but
>> bus_alloc_resource_any() is failing when it tries to allocate
>> the memory IO space.
>
> My answer is off-topic to your question, but on-topic to what you try to
> achieve.
>
> Are you sure the ICH7-based audio device is using the ac97 interface and
> not the HDA interface (hardware development decission, can't be changed
> with software)? If you are not sure I suggest to try to get this
> information somewhere. If it is using the HDA interface, your approach
> will never work. I suggest to have a look into the multimedia_at_ archive
> and search for HDA mails in this case.

I'm glad you mentioned this, because I'm fairly certain that this device
is in fact an HDA controller only, and not an ac97.  I read somewhere
that the chips previous to this one had basically support for either,
and the trailing identifier (the G, or FG, etc) is what tells you what
it is.

I know on my new Dell D820, it is HDA, not ac97 for certain.

I *think* the netbsd azalia driver supports this chip, but I haven't
installed netbsd to try it.

Eric