Request for test/comments: OpenSSL 0.9.8b import

From: Simon L. Nielsen <simon_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 17:10:32 +0200
Hey,

I have been working on preparing an import of OpenSSL 0.9.8b into the
base system.  Before actually doing the import I would like to get
comments and, if possible, even someone to test run it and report any
problems.  I have been running OpenSSL 0.9.8b for a couple of days
without anything blowing up.

The API in 0.9.8b is not entirely compatible with 0.9.7e (which we
currently have in the base system) so I choose to bump the library
version number.  I know API != ABI, but I'm not really sure how to
check if the ABI is compatible, and I can see that the shared library
number is bumped if you use OpenSSL's own build system.

In OpenSSL 0.9.8b the API libmp uses is broken so libmp has been
updated.  I have not yet tested the libmp change since I don't have
any programs which uses it, but I plan to make a small test program
before commit.

The patch against -CURRENT from today can be found at
http://people.freebsd.org/~simon/patches/openssl-0.9.8b-0.patch (note:
4.2MB) or in perforce as //depot/user/simon/openssl/ which can also be
viewed as:
http://perforce.freebsd.org/depotTreeBrowser.cgi?FSPC=//depot/user/simon/openssl/

The patch can be applied while standing in your src/ directory using:
patch -p6 < openssl-0.9.8b-0.patch

Note, due to the API breakage I have no plans to MFC this.

Comments?

--
Simon L. Nielsen