Re: HEADS-UP: snd_emu10kx driver imported

From: Alexander Leidinger <Alexander_at_Leidinger.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2006 09:35:55 +0200
Quoting Pyun YongHyeon <pyunyh_at_gmail.com> (from Tue, 18 Jul 2006
14:44:38 +0900):

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2006 at 10:50:58PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  > I just imported the emu10kx driver which is available since a while in
>  > ports. When loading the catch-all sound module is loaded, it will use
>  > the emu10kx driver instead of the emu10k1 driver now. The old module is
>  > still available in case the emu10kx driver doesn't work (we want to
>  > hear about such cases).
>  >
>  > Currently both drivers return the same priority when probing. When all
>  > sound devices are compiled into the kernel, the kernel will chose one
>  > of the drivers. You will notice which one (I don't know)...
>  >

> Personally I think old emu10k1(4) driver should return a
> BUS_PROBE_LOW_PRIORITY in order to give emu10kx(4) a chance.
> That way it would get more success/failure reports from
> users accoustomed to old emu10k1(4) driver.

I wouldn't be surprised if the current winning driver is the emu10k1
one. I thought about LOW_PRI already before I committed it, but first
I will give early adoptors a chance to report bugs. Then we can change
the priority, and then remove the emu10k1 driver.

But if you think we can change the pri now, I don't object...

Bye,
Alexander.

--
ABSTAINER: