Re: Firefox on -current dumps core.

From: Wolfram Fenske <Wolfram.Fenske_at_Student.Uni-Magdeburg.DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2006 05:16:38 +0200
Patrick Bowen <pbowen_at_fastmail.fm> writes:

> Daniel Eischen wrote:

Probably.  It solved the problem for me.

>>> When I upgraded about two weeks ago, a lot of programs dumped core.
>>> Rebuilding fixed that.  I didn't have these problems when I upgraded
>>> before, not even from 6.0 to 7.0-current, just this last time.
>>
>> Because there are libraries whose version have not been bumped
>> yet in 7.0.
>>

> [...]
>
> What would be the best way to avoid the "library" problem that caused
> the cores? Upgrade all the packages from source before I cvsup to
> -current, or...?

I'd say:

  1. update the ports tree to get the latest patches you might need
     for -current
  2. build and install -current
  3. rebuild any ports that dump core

You probably need an internet connection for step 3 in case you don't
have the sources for a particular port in /usr/ports/distfiles, yet.
Hm, I believe there is an option you can turn on when building ports
that inhibts the actual compilation but does everything else, like
e. g. download the source code.  I don't know the name, however.
Anyway, if you had this option, you could use it to download the
sources for the problematic ports after step 1 and wouldn't need an
internet connection in step 3.

Wolfram