Re: New Dell PowerEdge 2900

From: <eculp_at_bafirst.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 09:21:55 -0500
Quoting Martin Nilsson <martin_at_gneto.com>:

> eculp_at_bafirst.com wrote:
>> Does anyone know of any outstanding issues with the Dell PowerEdge
>> 2900 that comes with the
>>
>> PERC 5/i disk controller
>> Dual Embedded Broadcom® NetXtreme II 5708 Gigabit Ethernet NIC's
>> 300GB, SAS, 3.5-inch, 10K RPM Hard Drive
>> Memory 4GB 533MHz (4x1GB)
>
> Why don't you buy a system from a vendor who knows FreeBSD and can
> tell you what parts will work and how well supported they are?
>
> There is a long list at: http://www.freebsd.org/commercial/hardware.html
>
> Dell is for people who don't care what's inside the box and they tend
> to run Windows!

Martin,

Thanks for your answer, I've purchased from freebsd venders and I agree
in part but I have also run dell servers for years and they, both the
hardward and the company, have given me very good service.  In this
specific case the customer is a large corporation that is not in the
U.S. and they need both name recognition and acceptable local service
and dell provides both. I really don't have a choice and even if I did
I'm not sure I would want to look elsewhere for this company.

Thanks again for the suggestion,

ed