Re: [fbsd] Re: em(4) watchdog timeout

From: Jack Vogel <jfvogel_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 11:19:22 -0700
On 7/25/06, Jeremie Le Hen <jeremie_at_le-hen.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jul 22, 2006 at 12:06:27AM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > Jeremie Le Hen wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I am running a two month old current (dated from May 24)
> >
> > SOP with -current is that before you submit a bug report for a system this
> > old you should upgrade to the latest world and kernel. Two months is
> > _really_ old in -current terms.
>
> I am rebuilding a fresher one right now.  According to Ian's post,
> the problem is likely to remain.  What do you advice me to do to
> track this down ?
>
> FYI, my -CURRENT kernel (as well userland) is patched with ProPolice.
> I don't think this can lead to this kind of problem, the overhead is
> really small, in an order of 3 percent.  Do you think such an
> overhead in a time-critial path could trigger a watchdog timeout ?

Well, watchdogs ARE about timeouts :)

I know nothing about ProPolice but would suggest removing for a test
and see if the problem goes away.

As for the debug_info and stats data you sent, there was nothing that
looked bad in it, but those are more of a dynamic tool, its when the
problem occurs that this will possibly show why.... I know, it doesnt
make it easy :(

Jack