Resolved: nmount() issues

From: Matthew D. Fuller <fullermd_at_over-yonder.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 03:37:26 -0500
Update for the record, in case anybody else hits this.

[Original message at
<http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=6614+9613+/usr/local/www/db/text/2006/freebsd-current/20060115.freebsd-current>
for those who don't keep mailing lists around so long]

On Sun, Jan 08, 2006 at 01:09:15AM -0600 I heard the voice of
Matthew D. Fuller, and lo! it spake thus:

> SOME (but not all, and with no pattern I can see) of my filesystems
> react poorly to `mount -u`.  I keep getting:
>
> % mount -u /usr/ports
> mount: /dev/da0s1e: Bad address

I just updated to today's (well, yesterday's) -CURRENT, and still saw
this.  Nobody responded to the original mail, and nobody else has said
anything about it, so I'd assumed it was just a passing thing in the
old -CURRENT, but it still happened in the new, so I moved to assuming
it was something screwy with my system.

And so it was.  Strangely, if I unmounted the filesystems that
wouldn't mount -u, delete the dir they're mounted over, and recreated
it, they picked back up and worked just peachy.  Those dirs, as a
rule, hadn't been touched since 1999 when I installed this system.
And (for instance) the /usr dir that /usr is mounted on hasn't been
touched since then either, but is still working just fine without
intervention.

I still don't know WHY that started happening, but there's how to fix
it if anybody else hits it.

--
Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd_at_over-yonder.net