Re: Data authentication for geli(8) committed to HEAD.

From: Daniel O'Connor <doconnor_at_gsoft.com.au>
Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2006 12:15:33 +0930
On Friday 09 June 2006 03:11, Ulrich Spoerlein wrote:
> I have an external HDD that I initially attached via Firewire, but I've
> since switched to USB, as our firewire subsystem is less than rock

Interesting. I find the reverse :)
Then again I started using Firewire in 4.x where USB2.0 didn't exist and the
USB 1 code was kind of dodgy.

> The question really is, are 512 byte disk writes considered to be some
> kind of "atomic" as it is the smallest disk block size? What does the
> ATA subsystem do with writes of 4096? Are they completed atomically too,
> or not?

I think that in reality with a modern high capacity disk you don't get atomic
writes at all because they all re-write whole tracks.

Yes this violates the assumption soft updates makes, I believe the only way
around it is to buy SCSI drives (not because they're SCSI per se, but because
they're smaller capacity so they don't do this)

are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum