Re: getcwd() problem..

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida_at_ceid.upatras.gr>
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 13:52:46 +0300
On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:53:24 +0300, marinosi_at_ceid.upatras.gr wrote:
> Hello people,
> i have problem with the getcwd() function at -current .I get the
> following errors:
> 1. When i try to change directory:
> chdir: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory
> getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

What are the steps you have taken to reach this point?  We have to be
able to reproduce the same thing, if there is a bug somewhere.

> 2.When i try to use tab auto completion:
> symlink-hook: error retrieving current directory:getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

When do you hit TAB?  Have you logged in?  What is the setting of your
HOME directory in /etc/passwd?  Can you change directories if you use an
absolute pathname like:

    # cd /

> 3.When i start up an xterm :
> shell-init: error retrieving current directory: getcwd: cannot access parent directories: No such file or directory

It seems your HOME directory points to a location that doesn't exist.
Can you verify that /etc/passwd contains the right path, that this path
exists and that you do have the necessary permissions for that
directory?

- Giorgos