Re: Often experiencing nfs server foo:/bar: not responding

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_samsco.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 22:50:10 -0600
David O'Brien wrote:

> I am getting these errors all the time now (now being -CURRENT newer than
> Dec'05-Jan'06 time frame).  Are there some known issues in UDP or NFS
> serving since then?  This is on a virtually zero loaded 100Mbit network.
> Both the NFS server and client are FreeBSD-CURRENT systems.
>
> I can trivially trigger this on all my FreeBSD-CURRENT NFS clients,
> simply by exiting Vim.  Did something change sometime in 2006 that would
> affect the default NFS mounts?

A number of NFS changes happened in the first quarter of 2006, but they
were all focused on fixing existing bugs.  I've done extensive NFS
client testing with 6.1 and haven't seen anything unusual like you
report, but I definitely wouldn't rule out the possibility for
accidental problems.  The best way to start debugging this is to
capture the packet stream with tcpdump; I always run it in raw capture
mode and then use other tools to analyze the output.

Scott