Re: Journaling UFS with gjournal.

From: Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:41:10 +0200
On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 11:58:00AM -0700, Brooks Davis wrote:
+> On Mon, Jun 19, 2006 at 03:11:01PM +0200, Pawel Jakub Dawidek wrote:
+> >
+> > How it works (in short). You may define one or two providers which
+> > gjournal will use. If one provider is given, it will be used for both -
+> > data and journal. If two providers are given, one will be used for data
+> > and one for journal.
+> > Every few seconds (you may define how many) journal is terminated and
+> > marked as consistent and gjournal starts to copy data from it to the
+> > data provider. In the same time new data are stored in new journal.
+> > Let's call the moment in which journal is terminated as "journal switch".
+>
+> Cool solution!  I think I'll give this a try on my redundent mirror
+> server at work.  I'd be curious to see how gjournal performs with the
+> journal on a battery backed ram disk like the gigabyte i-RAM:
+>
+> http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/Storage/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2180&ProductName=GC-RAMDISK

I am curious too:) But as I said, there is still a lot of room for
performance improvements. The bottleneck currently is file system
synchronization, I think.
I hope our VFS gurus will look into VFS_SYNC() optimizations.

pjd_at_FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org