Re: Linux-flashplugin7 & rtld - RFC

From: Adi Pircalabu <apircalabu_at_bitdefender.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 18:19:16 +0300
On Tue, 20 Jun 2006 10:02:06 -0400 John Baldwin wrote:

> On Friday 16 June 2006 14:25, Dmitry Pryanishnikov wrote:
> >
> > Hello!
> >
> > On Sat, 17 Jun 2006, Hajimu UMEMOTO wrote:
> > > dmitry> doesn't crash/hang anything, it just gives the
> > > dmitry> possibility to use this combination.
> > >
> > > This patch is somewhat redundant.  Adding
> > >
> > > 	__weak_reference(dlsym, _dlsym);
> > >
> > > is enough.
> >
> >   Indeed, this also works for me. It would be nice to see this
> > trivial addition committed.
>
> I agree.  Do you have the __weak_reference() patch handy?

I know that this patch, by itself, does not break anything in the base
system. It gives the possibility to use native Mozilla-based browsers
with linux-flashplugin7. It eases the task of integrating them.
But not always adding a feature leads to the desired results. Flash7
DOES hang a lot when used with native Mozilla. Denying this isn't the
right thing to do, it will hit lots of users.
There are not as many reports as someone would expect because the patch
is not applied (yet) mainstream. Usually, if you offer a feature in a
software product, users tend to use it.
In this specific case I'd go for the solution of a separate library
used with LD_PRELOAD by Mozilla proposed by Marcus Alves Grando.
In the end, it's a matter of decision.

--
Adi Pircalabu (PGP Key ID 0x04329F5E)

For more information please visit http://www.bitdefender.com/