Re: Freeze due to performance_cx_lowest=LOW

From: Andriy Gapon <avg_at_icyb.net.ua>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2006 20:15:39 +0300
on 20/06/2006 16:10 Andriy Gapon said the following:
> Well, I think MP systems are "meant" to use lapic timer; anyway, I do
> not care much for them now :-) But I am exploring possibilities to avoid
> using lapic timer (or to augment it) on UP systems. And, as you confirm,
> RTC seems to be a good candidate for that.

BTW, an interesting link here:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/CEC/mm-timer.mspx

Some quotes:
8254 PIT
... this timer is only used in periodic mode to provide the periodic
clock interrupt on uni-processor systems. [in Windows]

RTC
... The RTC is used in periodic mode to provide the system profiling
interrupt on uni-processor systems and the clock interrupt on
multi-processor systems. [in Windows]

Not sure about their terminology and how up-to-date this document is,
but I think that they use 8254 for hardclock on non-APIC systems and RTC
 on APIC systems in Windows XP.

--
Andriy Gapon