Re: ~/.hosts patch

From: Xin LI <delphij_at_delphij.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 17:51:19 +0800
Hi, Harti,

在 2006-06-21三的 08:31 +0200,Harti Brandt写道:
> On Wed, 21 Jun 2006, Xin LI wrote:
[snip]
> XL>successfully exploit the ~/.hosts to get privilege escalation and/or
> XL>information disclosure or something else, which could not happen without
> XL>~/.hosts?
>
> Wouldn't this enable the same kind of phishing attacks there are under
> windows? As far as I remember there are attacks where the hosts file
> (don't remember how its called under windows) is rewriten by a virus/java
> script/whatever to contain a different IP address for a given hostname?
> Suppose someone fakes the website of www.foobank.com, then manages to
> insert www.foobank.com with the wrong IP address into ~/.hosts?

Well, if the user would not see a HTTPS certificate before entering his
or her password, then it would be highly possible that the user would
run under the "root" credential, where /etc/hosts can also be altered.

But instead of getting this into a bikeshed, let's see the way we are
seeking to make it (to add the functionality as a NSS module).  I think
a NSS module would provide the functionality yet allowing anyone to
choose whether to enable or disable it :-)

Cheers,
--
Xin LI <delphij delphij net>    http://www.delphij.net/