Re: Journaling UFS with gjournal.

From: Dmitry Pryanishnikov <dmitry_at_atlantis.dp.ua>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2006 22:20:44 +0300 (EEST)
Hello!

On Fri, 23 Jun 2006, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> > If your existing file system needs its last sector, then it wont work. If it
> > does not need it, then it might work (although fsck does not check for a
> > raw-device shrinkage - I think)...
>
> It has no way to check it.  If the last sector of the
> partition happens to be part of file data, overwriting
> it with gjournal meta data will lead to a corrupted
> file, and fsck(8) has no way to notice that, of course.

  It seems to me that badsect(8) is the way to go. Just try to declare the last
sector as bad. fsck then (after marking and unmounting) will tell you whether
this sector is used in another file (if so, you could just copy relevant data
and delete the file while keeping just created BAD/nnnnn file covering the
last sector). badsect+fsck will do all consistency checks for you.

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator
e-mail:  dmitry_at_atlantis.dp.ua