Re: Often experiencing nfs server foo:/bar: not responding

From: Philippe CASIDY <pcasidy_at_casidy.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 09:49:30 +0000
David O'Brien wrote:
> I am getting these errors all the time now (now being -CURRENT newer than
> Dec'05-Jan'06 time frame).  Are there some known issues in UDP or NFS
> serving since then?  This is on a virtually zero loaded 100Mbit network.
> Both the NFS server and client are FreeBSD-CURRENT systems.
>
> I can trivially trigger this on all my FreeBSD-CURRENT NFS clients,
> simply by exiting Vim.  Did something change sometime in 2006 that would
> affect the default NFS mounts?

I experience this problem from now and then too.
The problem was gone when I upgraded my server to from 5.1 to
5.5-PRELEASE. Before that, I added an entry in the server's crontab to
launch a script that does :

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/ifconfig re0 mtu 1490
/bin/sleep 15
/sbin/ifconfig re0 mtu 1500

I had then bad network performances but no more NFS lockdown.

Recently, I installed a new laptop with a 6.1-STABLE (three weeks ago)
and the problem reappeared. But I am not using much that laptop yet.

Here is my testimony on this issue, for what it's worth ;-)

Phil.