Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: Thomas Dickey <dickey_at_radix.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 07:11:01 -0400
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:56:25PM +0200, Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> >(xterm inherits its locale from the environment - as a cursory reading
> >of uxterm would reveal -)
>
> In my case the environment consists of a gnome session started with
> gdm, LANG set to de_DE.UTF-8 and LC_NUMMERIC set to C. Starting an
> uxterm didn't satisfy me (AFAIR: ugly font rendering, too much spaces
> between characters for all fonts I tried), starting a gnome terminal
> did (sort of, IMHO it's too large, but I got around it). Both

That sounds as if you overrode the font resources to use a proportional font,
or attempted to use TrueType fonts without having them setup properly.
(gnome uses separate configuration data for the latter).

> terminals did show the same locale related content in "printenv".

...also (it would be nice to have documentation for gnome-terminal),
I've observed that it tries to setup UTF-8 support whether or not the
locale is set for UTF-8.  (This makes it fail number of screens in vttest
in interesting ways).

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net