Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: Thomas Dickey <dickey_at_radix.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2006 19:54:39 -0400
On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 02:18:08PM -0500, Matthew D. Fuller wrote:
> Well, uxterm is just a shell script, an so amenable to quick tests.
> Running it with sh -x basically yields (trimming uninteresting bits)
>
> + LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> + export LC_CTYPE
> + exec xterm -class UXTerm -title uxterm -u8
>
> which is what triggers my problem when I do it manually (`env
> LC_CTYPE=... xterm`).

The -u8 option in combination with the locale setting is needed to make
xterm process UTF-8 (and also the -class option helps it to find the
proper fonts).

Oddly enough (depending on your perspective of course),
there are people who use xterm in UTF-8 with/without
the initial locale settings.

--
Thomas E. Dickey
http://invisible-island.net