Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 10:57:06 -0400
On Jun 26, 22:32, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 26, 2006 at 12:02:45PM -0400, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> > Is it time to consider making the utf-8 encoding the default character
> > encoding in FreeBSD?
>
> Not right now. Collating is not implemented in all UTF-8 locales.

How many of the locales don't have collation yet?  A few?  Many?
All?

I have to admit, that looking at my own setup, I do use:

	LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
	LC_COLLATE=POSIX

which suggests this was a problem for me too (I don't remember
for sure - it's been a while since I switched to UTF-8 and I don't
recall now exactly why I needed this).

I.e., is this an obstacle that only affects a few locales and
therefore shouldn't be a show-stopper for everyone else, is it
a problem with an easy work-around such as the above, or is this
really a reason not to move ahead right now?

	-jr