Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 13:30:32 -0400
On Jun 27, 17:40, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> So you are thinking about the fonts in X11? I thought you are talking
> about our console font.

Well, I was thinking of the X11 ones.  Yes, I realize they
are loaded from a port of the x.org stuff, so it's x.org's
responsibility to keep these current, and hopefully they are.
But if we ever switch to utf-8 as a default charset, we should
confirm they are up-to-date.  Markus Kuhn is regularly adding
new characters to these fonts and I do not follow how fast
x.org tracks these updates.

Now you mention it, though, the console support also needs
to be current.  That's one area I/we never checked for utf-8
support here.  You'll notice "to be completed" in the unicode.html
notes in the console section.  If anyone investigates this and
discovers that something doesn't work by default and a config
change needs documenting, feel free to email me and I'll add
details to the unicode.html notes file.

	-jr