Re: Unicode (was Re: Updating ncurses in base)

From: J.R. Oldroyd <fbsd_at_opal.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2006 11:09:13 -0400
On Jun 27, 13:13, Alexander Leidinger wrote:

> >	- we may need to update the base fonts so that more
> >	  iso10646 ones have more complete character support
>
> If there's not a BSD licensed replacement with at least the same
> quality, this may be the hardest part.

I believe our 10646 fonts are those developed my Markus Kuhn at
Cambridge, UK and documented here:
	http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/ucs-fonts.html
I'm not sure if ours are up-to-date or not.

> >	- utf-8 will have to be made the default character
> >	  encoding in startup scripts for the various utilities
> >	  and ports that are affected
>
> Why? The start scripts are written in english and I doubt we will
> start to use translated ones. So all they use is/should be 7-bit
> clean. Wy do we need to make UTF-8 the default for them? If someone
> wants to use UTF-8, he can set the locale accordingly, but for the
> rest of the system I don't see a point in switching.

Perhaps I wasn't clear with this comment.  What I meant was that
defaults for tools like the apache web server will need to change.
Since apache can serve text and html files which users will edit
with their editor and which will therefore now contain UTF-8-encoded
characters, apache's default will also need to be UTF-8.

Same for things like cups/groff and any other tool/server that
processes files which might contain 8-bit characters and which
care about the encoding.

	-jr