Re: HEADSUP: kbdmux(4)/syscons(4) patch is in the tree

From: Scott Mitchell <scott+lists.freebsd_at_fishballoon.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 13:14:44 +0000
On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 04:21:05PM -0800, Maksim Yevmenkin wrote:
> Dear Hackers,
>
> kbdmux(4)/syscons(4) patch was committed to -current. please give it a
> try and report any problems you might have with it.
>
> to activate kbdmux(4) simply
>
> 1) add 'kbdmux_load="YES"' to /boot/loader.conf and reboot
>
> or
>
> 2) kldload kbdmux && kbdcontrol -K < /dev/ttyv0
>
> once kbdmux is active any keyboard (i.e. ukbd(4)/vkbd(4)) attached to
> the system will be automatically added to the kbdmux.

Hi Maksim,

Cool, this looks great - I'll try to find a machine to test it on soon.

One question: will this all just work if I boot single-user with kbdmux(4)
loaded from /boot/loader.conf?  I'm thinking of things like my Dell 1850s
that have a (not connected) AT keyboard, a USB keyboard through a local KVM
and another through their remote access cards.  This all works great with
the kbdmux in normal operation, but I have to remember to type the magic
runes to disable the mux and the atkbd when I need to boot one of them in
single-user, or I end up with no usable keyboard at all.  It would be great
if this all just worked, and from my reading of your patch it seems like it
should, but I may be missing something.

Cheers,

	Scott

Scott Mitchell           | PGP Key ID | "Eagles may soar, but weasels
Cambridge, England       | 0x54B171B9 |  don't get sucked into jet engines"
scott at fishballoon.org | 0xAA775B8B |      -- Anon