Re: style(9) question

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 17:12:09 +0000 (GMT)
On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Colin Percival wrote:

> Robert Watson wrote:
>> I can't really think of a good reason
>> for return (foo) over return foo
>
> I'm not sure if this qualifies as a *good* reason, but writing "return
> (foo)" is more consistent with other keyword usage: "if (foo)", "for (foo)",
> "while (foo)", "switch (foo)".

I also find myself doing search and replace on return values more on FreeBSD
source than I do on other source.  I.e.:  s/return (0)/return (NULL)/ and that
sort of thing.  I think I would be less comfortable doing that without the
parens.  Again, whether that's just habit or a real reason is hard to say.

Robert N M Watson