Re: kern/93942: panic: ufs_dirbad: bad dir

From: Yarema <yds_at_CoolRat.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2006 23:39:45 -0500
--On March 3, 2006 3:51:45 AM +0000 Robert Watson <rwatson_at_FreeBSD.org>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Yarema wrote:
>
>> options	UFS_EXTATTR
>> options	UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART
>
> If you disable just UFS_EXTATTR_AUTOSTART, does the panic go away?  The
> autostart routine relies on reading directory data (or at least,
> performing lookups) during the mount process.  While it shouldn't be
> running on UFS2, it could be that it is, and if something has changed in
> the mount process so that reading directories that early is no longer
> functional, it could be that this causes an incorrect reporting of
> on-disk corruption (i.e., it could be a data structure initialization
> problem or the like).
>
> Robert N M Watson

Damn, I just reformatted the corrupt partition so I can no longer try this.
But as per Dmitry's suggestion before newfs wiped it all I did a:

mount -r /home
cat /home > /tmp/ar0s1e.ino2
umount /home
mount -r /dev/twed0s1e /home
cat /home > /tmp/twed0s1e.ino2
umount /home

Where ar0s1e is the corrupt slice and the dir is 17408 bytes in size and
there seems to be a huge chunk of mostly null data following the entry for
lost+found.  twed0s1e is where I backed up the /home fs and the dir in a
more reasonable 1024 bytes in size.  Both files can be found at
<http://yds.CoolRat.org/freebsd/> along with an archive of my KERNCONF
files containing a short README explaining how I manage my KERNCONFs.

--
Yarema