Re: hostap mode and wpa-psk with ral(4) problem

From: Andrew Thompson <thompsa_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 08:53:08 +1300
On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 11:32:05AM -0800, Sam Leffler wrote:
> Dominique Goncalves wrote:
> >On 3/5/06, Jacco Braat <jacco_at_jbraat.demon.nl> wrote:
> >>more people have problem with ral driver in hostap mode. the maintainer
> >>knows about it and promised to look into it before 6.1 release
> >>http://damien.bergamini.free.fr/ral/forum/read.php?f=1&i=225&t=163#reply_225
> >>
> >>authentication is succesfull, but there is a problem with arp and dhcp.
> >>
> >>in sys/net80211/ieee80211_input.c (ieee80211_deliver_data) there is some
> >>code to bridge incomming packets to other connected stations. It looks
> >>like the driver does not handle these packets correctly.
> >>
> >>ifconfig wifi0 -apbridge
> >>
> >>disables this feature, then you should be able to connect normally
> >
> >Thanks! with apbridge disabled I can now connect my PSP.
> >
> >What is the impact of disabling this feature ?
>
> It may disable communication between clients associated to the same ap.
>  With -apbridge you need to explicitly handle this with forwarding
> rules (unless if_bridge has gotten smart enough to forward rx'd packets
> from an interface back to the same interface).

Nope.
So essentially you want it to skip the check if the incoming interface
is the same as the destination and have it forward anyway. It wouldnt be
too hard to make this an option. It would obviously be suicide on a
wired Ethernet network, if there was some way to test the rx interface
(wifi) to see if this is needed it would make it easier and safer.

Andrew