Re: make installkernel KERNCONF=COMPAQ

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 11:00:25 +0200
On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 02:06:49AM +0000, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Sat, 4 Mar 2006, Balgansuren Batsukh wrote:
>
> >I did cvsup as 04 March, 2006 our localtime.
> >
> >I did make buildworld && make buildkernel KERNCONF=COMPAQ without any
> >problem.
> >
> >But when I try to make installkernel KERNCONF=COMPAQ, I get error message
> >"kldxref: file isn't dynamically-lined"
> >
> >I saw error message after:
>
> I'm not sure why this happens, but it's not actually harmful, even if it's
> rather annoying.  Someone (tm) should fix this.  You should be able to run
> with the resulting install.  If not, it's likely a different problem (or at
> least, not related to the message).

In -CURRENT, we install .symbols files if debugging was asked for.

In -CURRENT, kldxref(8) skips *.symbols files.

We do not bootstrap kldxref(8) when upgrading (I never suceeded
doing it a cross-tool).

So when upgrading from 6.x to 7.0 you see the warning like this,
the first time you install your new kernel with an old kldxref.

It's harmless.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov